[Zope] installing zope in a "web" hosted environment

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sun Jan 8 09:48:37 EST 2006

On 8 Jan 2006, at 14:39, Daniel Gross wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>
>> On 8 Jan 2006, at 14:30, Daniel Gross wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using a linux web hosting service, who has recently
>>> installed python into apache. Usually i install web products via
>>> ftp. After reading how to install zope (and plone), I couldnt
>>> find a reference how to install zope using ftp only. Is there a
>>> way to do so, also, so that zope does not use its built in web
>>> server but the apache server of the web host.
>>
>> You didn't find that reference because you can't do that. Simple
>> as that I'm afraid. You need shell access to install and run Zope.
> Hello Jens,
>
> Thank you for yoru prompt response.
>
> Is this an "oversight", or general lack of need as virtually all
> Zope users run their own servers, or an inherent limitation of how
> Zope works ...

Please keep this on the mailing list.

What you are referring to is a use case Zope cannot cater for. To run
a Zope server you must have certain levels of access to the server.
Zope is not like a CGI-script that you can upload and run out of
Apache, it is a full-blown server process on its own.

This is neither an oversight nor a limitation, this requirement
exists for all real server software you want to install and run.

jens