[Zope] CPU architecture and Zope

Jonathan Cyr cyrj at cyr.info
Wed Jan 11 16:22:54 EST 2006

Just reading along...

At the OS view, would dual cores balance the Linux overhead on one CPU
and python/zope on the other, based on resources required.

In other words, would the second core allow python to go faster, not
having to deal with the various OS and distro tools (apache, squid,
pound, mailman, etc.)  overhead items.  Does the mechanism governing
multiple cores separate/allocate processes by resources needed?  ... and
does a python/zope process get evaluated as a "heavyweight" process,
maybe getting allocated the lion's share of a single core.

It seems that the whole world of  multiple cores CPUs will be upon us
very quickly now.  The ZEO Server on one, ZEO Client on the other is a
good answer.  Just wondering if there are any other advantages of python
being the way it is, in the mix.

Great discussion for me, thanks,

-Jon

Alec Mitchell wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Andreas Jung <lists at andreas-jung.com> wrote:
>
>> --On 9. Januar 2006 21:38:15 -0800 David H <bluepaul at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Im just wondering what the wisdom is about Zope performance and various
>>> CPU types.  I'm running Zope on Linux (Ubuntu). I notice that Dell is
>>> selling  a "dual-core" Pentium unit.  But I have no idea if something
>>> like "dual core"  is advantegous to Zope, python execution or one's
>>> favorite RDMS.
>>>

>> A single Python process also a multi-threaded Python application can never
>> run on multiple CPUs. Multiple CPUs, cores etc. together with Python make
>> only sense when you run multiple Python processes e.g. multiple ZEO clients
>> or ZEO client + ZEO server. For standalone Zope instance dual-core  CPU
>> give you nothing.
>>

> I'm probably stating the obvious here, but a ZEO server + at least one
> ZEO client is generally advisable at the very least for debugging
> purposes, in which case dual CPUs/cores can be somewhat helpful
> (though the zeo server is not terribly processor intesive in my
> experience).  Even with a non-ZEO setup, dual cores could obviously be
> helpful if you were running other cpu intensive processes like an
> RDBMS on the same system.
>
> Alec

Jonathan Cyr
http://www.cyr.info