[Zope] Products for XML-RPC

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jan 17 09:05:37 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:11:33PM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 17. Januar 2006 13:04:37 +0100 Jos?? Carlos Senciales
> <jcsenciales at citic.es> wrote:
>
> >Hi ,
> >
> >I??m looking for a Product for Zope to call any generic object.method
> >with permission checking and with
> >a generic object response to caller.
> >
> >Do you know some product for this? or it??s not neccesary a product to
> >make it.
> >

> huh? Any published method of a Zope object (having security assertions and
> a doc string) can be called through XML-RPC without any further magic..

Yep.  Or, if XML-RPC doesn't float your boat, *and* the client and server
are both Zope instances, you might also check out ZSyncer, which as
of version 0.7 has methods callRemote() and callManyRemote() which
provide exactly this feature.  You just prepare a dictionary
identifying the remote path(s) and method(s) to call along with
arguments, and you get back native python objects.
(The response is sent back to you as pickles which are transparently
unpickled.)

There's no UI for using this, it's just provided so you can use zsyncer
to script "remote control" features.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com