[Zope] Re: Newbee interfaces and implementations

George Lee georgeleejr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:56:47 EST 2006

> So you recommend that I should just skip them as long as I'm on Zope2?
>
> I would be happy with that. I find them confusing when they don't
> really interface with but just document my methods.

Some of the reasons interfaces can be helpful are (1) for documentation purposes
and clarity for code if someone needs to look at it, (2) if other classes might
use the same interface, you help make sure you're sticking to a common interface
so that the methods in different classes do similar things, and (3) you can use
methods like "isImplementedBy" so that certain templates, code, etc. does
something with an object or class if it uses the interface -- what you call
"really interfacing".

There's many examples of how (3) might work. It seems like for now that (3)
won't be important to you and (2) might be. Personally I define interfaces for
some classes (especially tools) to help with the documentation, but agree with
you that for other straightforward classes they don't help that much with
documetnation.

Hope this helps; peace,
George