[Zope] Newbee interfaces and implementations

J Cameron Cooper zope-l at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Jan 19 15:08:13 EST 2006

Roman Klesel wrote:
> bruno modulix schrieb:
>
>>>So you recommend that I should just skip them as long as I'm on Zope2?
>>

>>Short answer :  yes. Unless you plan to switch to Zope3 really soon, but
>>then, I'd recommand that you skip Zope 2.x !-)
>

> No, I'll be with Zope2 for a while. I'm running an Plone site too and dont't
> have the memory to run a second Zope3 instance.
>
> I think my question is answered and I'm a little less confused now. :-)
>
> When I heard the word "interface" I thought of something like a network interface,
> which is the communication gateway to the entire machine if you address it from network:
>
> - you physically connect it to the network by plugging a cable into the NIC
> - you address it by calling an address which is assigned to the NIC.
>
> actually all other devices on the network only see the target machine as a network interface
> and don't know what kind of system it is plugged into until the methods the interface provides
> trigger routines that reveal more information.
>
> So, now I understand that interfaces in a the Zope2 context have some different meaning.

It a programming context, really. You should think of programmatic
interfaces like the interface between a power supply and a power
consumer: as long as both agree that the plug should have an end like
such, and the socket should look so and so, and the voltage is this, it
doesn't really matter what's generating the power, what's consuming the
power, or how the plug or socket is made.

		--jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/