[Zope] Re: Class instances changing address?

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 20 16:11:54 EST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> We say that A and B are persistent classes, while C is not.
> You have to be aware that persistent classes have special needs, and using
> them has consequences. One being that, due to transactional behaviour,
> several versions of the same instance of an object may be present in the
> system, in different threads, for different requests. They'll have different
> addresses.

Interesting, and led me to some reading of topics that I didn't even know
existed.  One thing to note though, this afternoon I reimplemented the
handling of 'C' such that they have physical representations in the ZMI (I
had them subclass SimpleItem and then performed a _setObject() in a Folder
inside the 'A' instance) and this was still happening.

I've seen a few comments suggesting that poor handling of Acquisition
could be my downfall here so perhaps indeed it wasn't the persistence
issue but acquisition instead?

Thanks
-J