[Zope] Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:18:13 EST 2006

On 1/24/06, Hugo Ramos <ramosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's talk about performance issues... Plone is VERY SLOW responding
> requests. All content is stored in ZODB objects and zcatalog is used
> to search. But even if you request the intranet home only, it takes
> about 10 seconds to load. The hardware is very good and lots of ram is
> used in the servers.
>
> They also have zeo + 2 zope instances running in the same machine.
> I've never seen this in my life... only 3 machines running 2 zope
> instances + zeo instance, separately.
>
> Do you think Zope(logic)+MySQL(content)+Apache(HTTP server) is better
> solution than Zope+Plone ???

No. That problem is Plone/CMF, and most of the problem is in the
"skins". It's a combination of how portal_skins work, and the fact
that Plones skins are not very optimized. CPS, who also uses
portal_skins, are faster than an empty Plone site, for example, but
still not as fast as a pure Zope-site can be.

Zope 3 and Five both promises to solve that by it's "View" paradigm,
but neither Plone nor CMF uses that fully yet, so if you use a lot of
standard products that probably will not help you. I'm not a speed
guru, but load balancing with ZEO would probably be the easiest way of
improving the performance in this case. That's my guess.