[Zope] SSL over Multiple Zope/Plone sites?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 24 13:10:04 EST 2006

I think this should be doable for single cert with multiple domains.
Setup you exising ip with one domain (ie. mysecure_domain.com). Get the
cert on this domain.

Setup a rewrite rule in apache for port 443 for mysecure_domain.com

You could use a self signed cert to experiment. When user logs in
request login page goes to

site1 - http://domain_one.com:
You would need to make your login go to you login page
https://mysecure_domain/site1/login

site2 - http://domain_two.com:
https://mysecure_domain/site2/login

Once logged in goes to whatever you have in your vhm
http://www.domain_one.com    /site1 in vhm
http://www.domain_two.com    /site2 in vhm

in vhm you'd have:
www.domain_one.com           /site1
www.mysecure_domain/site1    /site1
www.domain_two.com           /site2
www.mysecure_domain/site2    /site2

The problem here will be the session since when you login secure and
switch back to the regular site, your ssl session will expire
automatically but you'll need to pass it to nonssl to stay alive when
you go back to nonssl. I think a solution might be to store it, go to
nonssl and then retreive it when you do your redirect back to non-ssl. I
have not tried this yet. Alternatively you could always stay in ssl from
that point forward. Any technique from someone on this would be helpful
since I am also interested in what possibilities there might be.

This should not give you a problem with the cert because identity on
cert would match the ip. I think otherwise you are in a situation where
you will need a dedicated server setup to have one ip per site and then
you can just do a single rewrite per ip or use chained ssl if you have
sub domains that you want to tie together under a single cert over one
or more ips on one or more servers.

Regards,
David