[Zope] Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Michael Vartanyan pycry at doli.biz
Tue Jan 24 17:27:39 EST 2006

How did you go about caching authenticated content?  Any simple
personalization element like the user name in the corner disqualifies
the whole page from effective participation in downstream
proxying/caching. The only thing you can do with such page is to cache
it for one particular user hoping that s/he may need the same page again
(which is not likely).

I have an "extreme" situation when 90% of visitors are authenticated.
Moreover, they participate in dozens of groups that define their access
to individual content elements. Users are being granted and revoked
participation in groups very actively, it is a normal situation that a
few such changes occur within one session. And to finish the picture -
publication and access times are important for records purposes so the
current server time should be displayed on all pages.

I use RAM caches for parts/macros of pages that may be identical for all
users or some of the groups. They help, but the performance is still far
from being perfect. Any success stories/best practices for such cases?

Thanks.

zope 2.7.6, plone 2.0.5 (going to upgrade soon), freebsd 4.10