[Zope] Squid & ESI

Andrew Langmead alangmead at boston.com
Mon Jan 30 17:32:27 EST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Perhaps you could write a short how-to describing the exact
> versions you used? Both myself and Jens had little joy with this...

I just managed to build myself an ESI enabled Squid3 with the
following configure invocation. It is based roughly on the example on
longsleep.org,but it removes the ssl module and adds  one critically
needed adjustment of specifying libxml2

env CXXFLAGS="`xml2-config --cflags`"   CFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS"
LDFLAGS="`xml2-config --libs`"  sh configure --prefix=/usr/local/
squid3 --enable-gnuregex -with-pthreads --enable-esi --enable-
storeio=ufs,aufs --with-aufs-threads=10 --enable-useragent-log --
enable-referer-log  --enable-x-accelerator-vary --with-dl

make

sudo make install

Getting the SSL module to work seemed to require one small adjustment
to to the source in src/client_side.cc . I'll try to get a patch to
configure.in together so that the correct paths are recognized
automatically.

I wasn't involved in the Squid3/ESI work done at boston.com before,
so I don't know if there are any issues beyond the ones I resolved in
getting things to build.