[Zope] Re: Product refreshing in Zope 2.9

Tim Nash thedagdae at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:48:10 EST 2006

This thread has been interesting. I wish there was even more writing
about how people develop with zope. I have "completed" my first zope
product and I find that the change in mindset is the biggest
challenge. Zope is cool but it is quite different from php or java or
cgi. I wish that there was complete basic application that had all the
standard features in it so that a new developer could just start with
that template and modify. I have downloaded many of the products from
zope.org but they really don't tie everything togather. I am looking
for something that covers login in users, building tables out of data
stored in zodb, getters and setters for objects in the zodb,
collecting a variable in one page and passing it on to another page
where it modifies the data display, working with Sessions, etc. I
guess what I'm looking for is a template for a real application, not
for the individual pieces of functionality. And if it it has
associated test framework, unit tests, setup scripts etc. that is even
better. One application that has it all factored out to the most
common way  zope  is used would be a beautiful thing. Also, more
writting on how you guys go about developing zope apps. Do you start
from scratch each time or do you have your own templates? Do you use
the zmi? Do you mix zpt and dtml? What is the best products? most
commonly used products?
 BTW, I find refresh usefull because my site is hosted in Europe and
I'm in Calif.. I can live without refresh but it is one more reason
for me to not request a zope upgrade from my hosting service. And if
it isn't going to work, shouldn't it be removed?
Tim