[Zope] Zope installation woes

Sascha Welter zopelist at betabug.ch
Thu Jul 6 05:14:14 EDT 2006

(Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:00:08PM -0400) zope-request at zope.org wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> From: "russ" <russ at russtik.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: [Zope] Zope installation woes

> Firstly I'll just mention a little bit more about the server.  We have
> cPanel and Apache running.  There's a number of accounts setup in cPanel and

It appears that this is a production server.

Jonathan wrote:
> If zope is not running try starting zope with the command: ./zopectl fg
> this should allow you to see any errors that are generated while zope
> tries to start up.

good advice

russ wrote:
> I can't see anything relating to zope specifically & running the zopect1
> command results in this:
>
> root at server [/usr/local/zope/instance3/bin]#
> /usr/local/zope/instance3/bin/zopect1 fg
> -bash: /usr/local/zope/instance3/bin/zopect1: No such file or directory

later Jonathan replied:

> Don't give up!

And now my point: Jonathan, I disagree here. Russ, you are running a
command you don't know about (and you don't even care enough to check
the spelling) as *root* on a *production* server.

Please notify the servers administrator and/or owner about this. You
shouldn't be allowed near a root prompt. At least till you've done your
homework to the extend that you pay attention before doing anything as
root. Besides, nobody told you to do this as root. When giving commands
as root, you can destroy everything that is on that server. For starters
try it with `rm -rf /`.

Why don't you try the installation first on a test machine or personal
workstation? We all have to learn stuff first, but a production server
isn't a learning environment. Nowadays it is *very* easy to get a Unix
clone system to play around with. There is also documentation to be
found about Zope and System Administration in general, for free on the
Internet.

[Stepping down from Soap Box]

Have a nice day + Regards,

Sascha