[Zope] Check Zope status

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jul 11 10:11:49 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:20:48PM +0100, Jonathan Bowlas wrote:
> We're having a few problems with our Zope server, it seems to be crashed but
> were not sure whether it is actually crashed or merely waiting (a long time)
> for a response from LDAP to authenticate our users, which may be causing it
> to hang.
>
> Is there any tool we can use to test to see if Zope has actally crashed?

I'm assuming you're on *nix of some flavor.
First thing to do is use ps to see if there are any zope-related python
processes running. For example:
$ ps wax | grep python | grep ope

On my gentoo workstation, I'm running both zope and zeo currently,
so I get:

 9609 ?        S      0:05 /usr/local/bin/python /home/pw/z29soft/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/run.py -C /home/pw/z29inst/etc/zope.conf
 9610 ?        S      0:01 /usr/local/bin/python /home/pw/z29soft/lib/python/ZEO/runzeo.py -C /home/pw/z29inst/etc/zeo.conf

If there are no processes, zope is obviously not running at all :)

If there are processes but zope is not responding,
first thing I would do is check the end of the zope event log
and request log. That would help narrow down the time at which
problems started.
http://zopewiki.org/Z2Log
http://zopewiki.org/EventLog

Then, try GDB to figure out what zope is doing.
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/Members/jean/zope-notes/debug-spinning-zope

And, to make life easier next time,
install http://www.zope.org/Members/nuxeo/Products/DeadlockDebugger

finally, another tool that can help diagnose apparent hangs
is the trace log, formerly known as the "big M" log.
http://zopewiki.org/TraceLog

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com