[Zope] Catalog aware

Garito garito at sistes.net
Thu Jul 20 03:25:26 EDT 2006

Tino Wildenhain escribió:
> Garito wrote:
>
>> Tino Wildenhain escribió:

>>> Who says you have a use for the product I create? Or if it makes
>>> sense to catalog it? If you want a cataloguing framework, why
>>> dont you use CMF or something?
>>>

>> I want to make every class catalogable only if I point a zcatalog id
>> (with self.default_catalog) but If I point it I want to catalogue the
>> object
>>

> And what of the object do you want to catalog?
> Which kind of indexes do you want it to support?
> What kind of questions do you expect your ZCatalog
> (hypothetically) answered? Could you give examples?

Is not important what I want to catalog, for me is important that the
object *was* in the catalog (some catalogs indexes some properties some
others other properties)

>> Now is a search era, isn't it?
>>

> Yes, search for what and by whom is the question here.

I don't thing so. The question is who is in the catalog

>> Use another framework only to do the objects catalogable?
>>
>> I love simple things
>>

> So why are you trying to make standard zope objects more
> complicated? :)

More complicated? Sure, but I don't understand the cost to make every
object in Zope catalogable. A class and a variable I don't thing is a
big cost
And I thing in Zope when I thing in keep it simple

>>> The point is, it makes no sense to catalog Pagetemplates,
>>> Python Scripts, Folders and ZSQL Methods, Mailhosts
>>> and Database connections. These are all standard zope
>>> objects, yet they make catalogable content only in derived
>>> work or when they play together - which is a custom
>>> solution anyway. There you can add whatever cataloguing
>>> awareness you want.
>>>

>> And if I use them dinamically (a user with the role1 use the template
>> Ver but a user with the role2 use the template Ver1 for the same
>> context)? (I'm not sure if I understand you clear, sorry If I make a
>> mistake, please
>>

> This would not be supported by just adding indexing to the standard
> objects anyway. You would write a container which supports the bahavior
> you want - and while you are at it you can easily add catalogawareness
> to that - exactly where and in the way _you_ need it :-)
> Individual objects cataloguing themself would get in your way.
>
> Regards
> Tino Wildenhain

Yes, I'm creating a specific container that works in a curious way. In
that container I could catalog a Page Template when I'm adding it but
perhaps sometimes I want to track its changes an so on

--
Mis Cosas
http://blogs.sistes.net/Garito