[Zope] Catalog aware

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Jul 20 05:17:29 EDT 2006

Garito wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain escribió:
>> Garito wrote:

>>> Is not important what I want to catalog, for me is important that the
>>> object *was* in the catalog (some catalogs indexes some properties
>>> some others other properties)
>>
>> Please read the catalog section again: there isnt the object in the
>> catalog!
>> Again: The object is _not_ in the catalog.
>> Its all about usefull indexes and maybe object metadata.
>> So again: _what_ actually do you expect to find?
> When I talk about was in the catalog I mean the object is catalogued
> I expect to find *the object* in the catalog
>
> For example:
>
> How do you know how many cousins you have? Because you are a catalog
> that catalog the number of cousins you have

So you want to count objects based on their meta_type?
Of what use would be such an information?
What if you know how many pagetemplates you have? :-)

> Another example: how much skills about computing do you have? Again your
> skills are objects that you need (as a catalog you are) to catalog

We have a skills object in plain zope now? Thats news for me.

> Like an entity (a thing, and object) you need to know some data stored
> in your life added to you

Yes, but a zcatalog cannot work with "some data" - you need to specify
exactly _which_ data you want to find. So what exacly is this on
standard Zope objects?
..

>> Yes, but its nonsense. You cant do anything more with the objects
>> in Zope if they are catalogued.
> Are you sure? I can find them!!! Then if I can find them I can count
> them, give to you (even if its don't depend on me, remember your skills
> or your cousins?)

Ah yes, which zope product stores cousin data?

> I want to create an object that acts like an entity (like a human or a
> mortage or a paper or a product -that you can sell)

Yes, you crate it - you define its cataloguing. So what is your business
with standard zope objects here?

> These entity need to know how is it (its properties, its characteristics)

You cant barely catalog all properties - the catalog would not even know
if this property is meant as keyword or fulltext or whatever...

> I ask myself if I know myself but I only know about myself all I can
> catalogue

>> Regards
>> Tino
> I don't expect anyone guess my needs (is for that I need to develop the
> class) :)
> I only ask if I can add some super classes to an object when  I create
> it :)

You can, you just add it. Its there and you even know its name.
So what was your problem again? :-)

> I know my needs are so particular but I want to create something new
> with a new perspective. If I can the result will be very curious (I
> suppose, I expect even)
>
> I choose Zope because is the most near to my finall result

Exactly :-)

Regards
TIno