[Zope] Templates vs DTML

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 21:33:45 EDT 2006

Dennis Allison wrote:

>We've been using DTML but we are at a point where we could move to page
>templates.
>
>We are starting a major restruture and rewrite of much of the
>system and are debating moving to ZPT.  Performance is potentially a major
>issue.  We are using Zope 2.9.X, will eventually move to Zope 2.10.X and
>Five.  Python 2.4.X.
>
>Has anyone done any benchmark comparison of the two design choices?  For
>the same functionality, which performs better.  No flame wars about which
>is better, just information about performance.

Dennis,

Interesting question.  Because to reasonably performance test ZPT vs
DTML one would have a scenario where DTML script does both logic and
presentation (its "weakness") and ZPT does presentation and off-loads
its logic to Python Scripts (presumably its strength).
Note: I say this assuming the DTML "typically" has lots of embedded
logic whereas ZPT does not.

Chris M wrote an very interesting blog (see plope.com) that (among other
things) compares Meld to ZPT in terms of performance.   I recall that he
was impressed with ZPT's rendering speed.

At any rate, you could always invest the time to convert one of your
DTML workhorses into ZPT and do your own compare.  That might be best
because the style your DTML was written in may make a big difference in
your performance results.

David