[Zope] Information about Zope 3.2

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 6 15:23:52 EDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Michael Dexter <dexter at ambidexter.com> wrote:
> >Plone doesn't run on Zope 3, so that migration would be a seriously
> >major undertaking (ie, reqrite from scratch).
> >>Please provide me information regarding this.
> >
> >http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/lennart_regebro/2005_10_04_zope2-vs-zope3-faq
>
> Good FAQ but you do not address the 64k EUR question: Is Zope 3 so
> well thought out (separation of content and logic etc.) that is will
> not only serve as an excellent application server but also the "I
> don't know how we survived without it" future foundation for Plone,
> Silva, CPS etc. CMS's?
>
> I am aware that Z3 features are being gradually phased in but I have
> yet to see an existing or new CMS to claim that it is the first true
> third generation CMS based on Zope's third generation foundation.
>
> Facts? Links?

The jump to Zope 3 is a huge one, and it is no surprise that existing
CMS's have not yet made it.  I personally believe that the Zope 3
architecture is very compelling, and we are trying to leverage some of
that for Plone.  If you want to see an actual CMS implemented fully in
Zope 3 you many want to look at Tiks, http://www.tiks.org/ .  A large
non-CMS application making use of Zope 3 is SchoolTool.  There are
many resources on the net describing the features and advantages of
Zope 3.

Alec