[Zope] Improved Zope Org Proposal

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Sat Jun 24 16:23:11 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 20:13 +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Andrew Sawyers wrote at 2006-6-23 18:15 -0400:
> >  For bug
> >  tracking, either links to the existing ZC trackers or
> >  a Trac installation.
>
> If you move to "Trac" *PLEASE* migrate the current issues.
>
>   It is very discouraging to loose all the bug reports
>   and patches (as happened when a former collector site crashed).
Of course, if that were to happen, there would have to be a migration.
Agreed.

> >Content
> >-------
> >
> >* The existing
> >  concept of membership for uploading bit-rot content will be retired.
>
> This means what?
There would be VERY limited things an individual could upload.  I
personally argued strongly for 0 membership on this site.  If the ideas
of micro sites went forward, the appropriate micro sites could allow (or
not) membership as necessary.

> Some of the current content might not be very valuable but
> there are also great pieces of software!
Devil's in the details.  I would presume all software could be retained
in some manner forever.  ??  I'd personally like to see a community
member step up and write a kick ass Zope software site - dedicated to
community software packages.  If that didn't happen, maybe we can
migrate software packages to sourceforge if the 'owners' are MIA?

> >* Existing community content on zope.org will NOT be migrated.
> >  The content will be made available on ZC's existing server
> >  via URL rewriting (to keep existing links from breaking) or
> >  by moving everything to an old.zope.org domain.  The best
> >  content will be migrated by hand to PloneHelpCenter /
> >  PloneSoftwareCenter products.
>
> Who will decides which content is worth migration?
For the site I refer to, only that which meets the scope of the site.
Again, I'd love to see community members step up for the areas which are
necessary for supporting things which Lennart refers to.  I personally
don't think those sites need to be official Zope (Foundation).  I think
Zope Labs is an excellent site which fills some of this niche.  A Zope
Foundation site should not compete where the community excells already
in my opinion.

I don't disagree with Lennart, just possibly who 'runs' it.

Andrew