[Zope] Improved Zope Org Proposal

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Sat Jun 24 16:33:51 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 10:58 +0200, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> We have already made a new www.zope.org once. That was an ambitious
> project, which potential did not become fully realized. We need to
> take with us the experiences of that.

Trust me, many of us do.  Jens and I spent many many hours on the
predecessor to www.zope.org which got canned.  Thus, I think it's
imperative to limit the scope and focus of www.zope.org to that which I
noted.  Superior documentation, Product releases from svn.zope.org and
Marketing.

> And this is mainly:
>
> 1. We do NOT want a new www.zope.org.
Oh, you may not be 'WE' do.  Some of us make up the 'WE'.  We want it.
No need to argue this point.

>  We want MANY new
> "something".zope.org. We should have a products.zope.org, and a
> collector.zope.org, and a faq.zope.org, and a wiki.zope.org, and
> blablabla.

I agree, to some degree - where we may disagree is who 'manages' and
runs them.  I would like to see the community step up and create those
sites as it interests them.

> www.zope.org would be an hyping site, where we hype zope, and referr
> people to the other "microsites".  <-- Community Sites

I agree - just change from microsite to 'communuty supported site' and I
wouldn't find any reason to argue this personally.  :)

> I'm very much less concerned about what software we actually have.
> It's a minor issue in this, although of course, not writing software
> from scratch unless you have too seems to be a good idea. The
> important thing is that we do not try to build a big monolithic site
> that does everything again, because then this will for the third time
> stall and slowly die.
Agreed, thus note the focus and scope items of the proposal - they are
key to the success IMNSHO.

> > * zope.org will have a paid sysadmin.  Bas van der Linden of
> >   Amaze has volunteered the services of Wichert Akkerman,
> >   the very talented sysadmin who currently administers
> >   plone.org.
>
> Well, this is of course completely up to the foundation board. It's
> probably a good idea, it's just a matter of judging the benefit and
> the cost. ;-)

This paid sysadmin has been volunteered already and is being paid for by
Ras van der Linden - suppose if the foundation doesn't want to accept
that gracious offer, they could decline his offer.

> > * Volunteers from the Zope community will be responsible for the
> >   site's content.  The current mock-up uses a skin designed
> >   by Tom Von Lahndorff.  I imagine that the initial text and
> >   information architecture will come from the svn repository
> >   of content that Andrew Sawyers and others have been working on.
> >   See http://new.zope.nl for an initial a mock-up.  The existing
> >   concept of membership for uploading bit-rot content will be retired.
>
> No I don't follow you. Surely product information and news will be
> uploaded and created by members? And surely that means some of it
> sooner or later will rot?

I'd like to see some other site write this software and feed it to
www.zope.org via rss or some Ajax implementation the designers come up
with.  The limited content placed directly on zope.org should be that
noted herein and other emails IMNSHO.

> > * Existing community content on zope.org will NOT be migrated.
> >   The content will be made available on ZC's existing server
> >   via URL rewriting (to keep existing links from breaking) or
> >   by moving everything to an old.zope.org domain.
>
> The old site can be moved to a old.zope.org as soon as there is a
> products.zope.org and collector.zope org and news.zope.org up.
>
> >  The best
> >   content will be migrated by hand to PloneHelpCenter /
> >   PloneSoftwareCenter products.
>
> I see no reason why product developers can't be "held responsible" for
> migrating their own products. Products that then are not migrated can
> be seen as abandoned and will go away when old.zope.org goes away.

The can - to that site the community steps up with or to sourceforge.
No need for it to be on the www.zope.org.  I of course prefer it if
someone in the community did it, so they could feed data to zope.org for
display.  It's about integration in my opinion - not about
consolidation.

> > * The zope.org site should acknowledge contributors in a overt fashion.
> > "Zope Rock Stars" who have risen up above the call of duty,
> > contributors, etc should be noted.  The Foundation can determine how to
> > implement this, but those paying for and providing services should
> > receive acknowledgment.
>
> Yeah, good idea!
A must in my opinion.

Andrew