[Zope] Upgrading best practices

Einar Næss Jensen einar.nass.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:59:38 EST 2006

When I do this ( with my very simple zope systems), I always do a
test-migration before THE migration.
Basically: If all looks well, we are Go for Migration.

In short, I do it like this (not using zeo):
check with google, bugcollectors mailinglists if your new zope version may
expose you to unwanted issues. For some reason, I forget this important
part, and get punished by it.
Install new zope-engine. generate new instance where the migrated system
will live.
copy etc/  Imports/ Extensions/ Products/ to the new instance.
copy Data.fs
ensure the new instnace is running on different port-number than the old one
(for the test-run).
remember that some products may have hard-coded paths. change them.
testrun of your new zope. Check features, check logs.

remember to change your apache config files also (or other webserver)

This is the short version of how I do things.

On 3/8/06, Brian Sullivan <briansullivan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there somewhere a general guide to upgrading existing Zope systems
> to newer versions? I realize that there are special cases but I am
> looking for a general best practices guide.
>
> It seems that there is lots of information with each release on
> installation from scratch but very little solid information that I
> could find on upgrading.

Einar Næss Jensen
http://einar.nidelven-it.no/einarblog
http://www.homemade.no
tlf: +47 90990249
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.