[Zope] "No module named rotor"

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:43:52 EST 2006

> Rotor was removed form python for a variety of reasons (see the
> mailing list archives) but one of them was that it's a terrible way to
> do any sort of encryption.  There are numberous python extensions that
> do encryption and decryption which could be incorporated into your
> product.  Alternatively, you can add rotor as a python script into
> your product-- and interesting programming project <smile.

As I said elsewhere, I am not doing any encryption.  I get the same error
using the sample ZooExhibit product in the 2.7 book.  My error is coming
from Zope files as near as I can tell.  Until yesterday evening I had
never heard of the rotor module. :)  Actually I just downloaded the 2.9.1
tarball and there are references to rotor in there as well:

[jgentry at berlioz App]$ pwd
/home/jgentry/Zope-2.9.1/Dependencies/App-Zope-2.9.1/App
[jgentry at berlioz App]$ grep rotor *
Extensions.py:        import rotor
Extensions.py:            rotor.newrotor(prod_id +'
shshsh').decrypt(open(p,'rb').read())
Product.py:        import rotor
Product.py:        rot=rotor.newrotor(id+' shshsh')
Product.py:            import rotor
Product.py:            rot=rotor.newrotor(rot)

-J