Give it a rest + answers. (Re: [Zope] Re: Zope + Apache on Quad Debian machine)

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Tue Mar 21 08:51:29 EST 2006

Dario Lopez-Kästen schrieb:

> The fact that the issue of the GIL is not more prominent in the Zope
> worlds, I think is because relatively few zopistas are aware that there
> is a problem; mostly, because not so many run multicpu-boxes in
> production, and also because of attitude, I suppose: "since I don't have
> a problem with it, I don't care about it, and I'll inform you so."
>
> /dario - yes... a bit annoyed at all the "help" some folks give...

Otoh, I have yet to see the figures showing the CPU afinity
buys you anything in reality. We know the GIL, thats for sure
but I never saw a measureable difference binding a process
to a CPU (which is also highly depending on the OS scheduler)

I can imagine usefull applications of this - and thats for
tiny computing intense applications where you can assume
the CPU afinity keeps the program in the CPU cache.

Zope isnt by far a "tiny" application compared to the cache size
of actual CPUs.

++Tino

PS: yes and I dont think newbs or anybody should easily get angry
     if they dont get the answer they would like to read...