[Zope] ZCatalog Strategy

Mark Gibson mark at dimensional.com
Wed Mar 22 21:28:19 EST 2006

I'm struggling to weigh the cost of getObject() vs. the cost of adding
more metadata to the catalog.  I'll explain my situation.

I have 10,000 widgets cataloged.  I do a path and date query that
returns me maybe 12 of these.  Then I have a choice of calling
getObject().getData() on each of these, or I could add getData to the
catalog metadata.

Does the cost of calling getObject() for a dozen objects justify
creating a new metadata field?

More generally how does a large amount of metadata in the catalog affect
performance of queries?

The wisdom of those more knowledgeable than me would be appreciated.

Mark