[Zope] Questions on ZODB BTrees versus bsddb BTrees

Terry Jones terry at jon.es
Fri May 5 06:12:19 EDT 2006

Hi Chris

Yesterday you said:

Chris> Not everything is as hard as some people manage to make it ;-)

And today this

| Chris> And what version of Zope are we on now?

and

| Chris> But really, with Open Source, it's up to you to be the judge. If a

That's 3 times where I somehow get to be in the wrong for taking the time
to point out that a piece of documentation in the project is quite
misleading.

I do well understand that the principle of caveat emptor applies to open
source. But, many people have worked for a long time on zope and they've
spent so much time in packaging it up and making it available because they
also want it to be used by others. That's one of the aims. It works against
that aim if the documentation is misleading. And, it works against the aim
of having more people involved if someone new and well-intentioned shows
up, runs into what looks like a clear (and, yes, very minor) problem, takes
the time to report it, and is then repeatedly told that they're in the
wrong!

| Chris> Well, by all means report this anachronism to zope-web at zope.org, and
| Chris> someone will hopefully delete it.

Ok, will do.

| Chris> If a document is over 3 years old and mentions a version of Zope
| Chris> that's *nine* point releases earlier than the one you're using, d'ya
| Chris> not think it might be out of date? ;-)

Sure. But when it's the only thing you have to go on, when the document is
sitting on the official zope.org web site, and when it says something is
separately downloadable, experience dictates that you ignore the mentioned
version number and go looking for the latest version of that thing. Which
is exactly what I did.

BTW, I don't personally mind your reaction at all (and I did see the
original smiley). I was trying to help yesterday.  I'm trying to now too,
when I say that I don't think it's in the best interests of the project to
tell newcomers who run across problems that they're in the wrong because
they were naive enough to read and rely on the documentation.

Anyway, no hard feelings, and thank for your replies. Apologies for so many
words.

Regards,
Terry