[Zope] Questions on ZODB BTrees versus bsddb BTrees

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon May 8 11:53:05 EDT 2006

Terry Jones wrote:
> That's 3 times where I somehow get to be in the wrong for taking the time
> to point out that a piece of documentation in the project is quite
> misleading.

You didn't say you thought it was misleading, you worded it as if you
expected it to still be true. A small difference maybe, but we're all
busy people ;-)

> That's one of the aims. It works against
> that aim if the documentation is misleading. And, it works against the aim
> of having more people involved if someone new and well-intentioned shows
> up, runs into what looks like a clear (and, yes, very minor) problem, takes
> the time to report it, and is then repeatedly told that they're in the
> wrong!

Well, you didn't say "this is wrong, I want to fix it". You said "doing
this thing that's obviously out of date should work, why doesn't it",
which is a slightly different kettle of fish ;-)

> Sure. But when it's the only thing you have to go on,

It's not. There's plenty of coverage both in the 2.6 book on zope.org
and the 2.7 book on plope.org...

> when the document is
> sitting on the official zope.org web site,

zope.org is a joke, despite many people's efforts. Get over it and move
on to enjoying zope despite this ;-)

> and when it says something is
> separately downloadable, experience dictates that you ignore the mentioned
> version number and go looking for the latest version of that thing. Which
> is exactly what I did.

I don't think that's correct. If you see an ancient version of any
software mentioned in a doc, you might want to consider the validity of
the document as a whole...

> original smiley). I was trying to help yesterday.  I'm trying to now too,
> when I say that I don't think it's in the best interests of the project to
> tell newcomers who run across problems that they're in the wrong because
> they were naive enough to read and rely on the documentation.

Well, okay, I'll try and make the point again: you need to think hard
when reading docs... if it's ancient, it might well be out of date and
wholely inaccurate to the point of being totally misleading, as in this
case...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk