[Zope] AJAX and Zope

Greg Fischer retheoff at gmail.com
Wed May 24 13:01:20 EDT 2006

The one thing I have found about Ajax and Zope (Ajax and anything
really) is that your returned scripts are typically so customized to
your web page DOM and your application logic.  So, as someone else
posted, Zope handles everything in it's own separate objects anyway,
so no need for a special server side processing system.  This is just
my limited experience though.

I found it was just as easy to use Dojo Toolkit and my plain old DTML
objects on Zope2 for my app server.  You could just as easily use PT
and Python scripts.  Have a look at this site I did as a demo last
fall.

http://www.zajax.net

I was first asking the same things you were.  I wanted a library or
some other way to handle the Ajax calls, but found it was so simple to
just use Dojo and let it do asynchronous calls to Zope DTML objects.
What I have is uber simple, but that's all I wanted.

I can't remember if in that demo I returned javascripts or html, but I
do know that with Dojo you can do either one.  I built another small
Ajax app later, and it does return javascripts. (very fast updates
that way)

On 5/24/06, Pascal Peregrina <Pperegrina at lastminute.com> wrote:
> By Zope objects I meant:
>
> You've got a page template for example, and you include such an "AJAX enabled object", basically rendering an HTML fragment, and the resulting page will include the page template code + the fragment (similar to a macro call), but will also include the needed javascript code to handle the asynchronous communication.
>
> Then another thing would be something like a PythonScript object (so you define python code and return python structures) and get it rendered as javascript to be included in somepage for processing the data returned by an asynchronous XML-RPC call to Zope within the browser.
>
> Does it make more sense now?
>
> Pascal

Greg Fischer
1st Byte Solutions