[Zope] Product creation/email attachments

Amanda A. mnstrmr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 22:55:50 EST 2006

I'm a complete Zope novice. Forgive me if my question is inane.

I need to be able to send an e-mail (following a form submit) with an
attachment (and I prefer not to use DTML). I can send e-mails withOUT
attachments, but according to this:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2005-May/159291.html

I need to create

"a simple product like this:

EmailTools/__init__.py
------------------- contents ---------------------------------
from AccessControl import allow_module, allow_class, allow_type
from AccessControl import ModuleSecurityInfo, ClassSecurityInfo

from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
from email.MIMEMultipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.MIMEBase import MIMEBase
from email.Header import Header
from MailCrypt import signmail
from email.Encoders import encode_base64

allow_class(BlockFormatter)
allow_class(MIMEBase)
allow_class(MIMEText)
allow_class(MIMEMultipart)
allow_class(Header)
allow_class(signmail)
allow_class(encode_base64)
"

This then will allow me to send attachments using

from Products.EmailTools import
MIMEText,MIMEBase,MIMEMultipart,Header,encode_base64

in the python script. (Without the EmailTools product Zope tells me I am not
allowed to import MIME*)

This is where my question comes in. I have tried to create the product both
from the ZMI (which does not allow the creation of __init__.py's) and via
command line (in ~/Products, in lib/Python, everywhere that the sparse and
conflicting information I have been able to gather tells me). Doing the
latter I can certainly create the __init__.py but the Product doesn't
register with zope.

Could someone give a quick walk-through (or point to an up-to-date source)
on how to create this Product?

(I am running  Zope 2.8.6-final, python 2.4.3, linux2)

Thanks.