[Zope] matplotlib and zope problem

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Tue Nov 14 07:06:23 EST 2006

Marek Szczypiński schrieb:
> Hello All,
>
>   I've been using zope and matplotlib for some time now, and I want to
> connect them. I'am using the example code from page:
> http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Matplotlib_and_Zope ,
> but whenever I try to import matplotlib, and/or pylab packages i get
> this error from zope:
>
> Error Type: RuntimeError
> Error Value: '/' is not a writable dir; you must set environment
> variable HOME to be a writable dir

*wild guess*

you are starting Zope as root (via init) so $HOME
points to root's home directory (usually /root)
Now zope switches to another user (configured or
default to nouser and thus cannot write to
root's home anymore.

You can either set another value for $HOME in your
zope.cfg - there is a section for custom environment
vars or modify mathplotlib to _not_ write to $HOME.

(Sounds like a bad idea anyway - whats wrong with temp?)

Zope Products use ZOPEHOME and INSTANCE_HOME

Regards
Tino