[Zope] zdb

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 04:32:56 EST 2006

Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Chris Withers, on 2006-11-28:
>> Paul Winkler wrote:
>>> I still prefer zdb, because you can actually see and step through the
>>> script code.
>>> http://www.simplistix.co.uk/software/zope/zdb
>
> Do you mean you can put this in a .cpy file:

If you go back in the thread, you'll see I explicitly stated that .cpy's
are not covered because they choose to do their own silly thing.

>   from Products.zdb import set_trace
>   set_trace()
>
> and then you can see the script code in the debugger?

For normal python skin scripts, yes :-)

> When I try that I end up in the debugger, but I don't see anything
> different from the normal pdb.set_trace().  When I press 'l' I just
> see [EOF] like always.  Is there a trick I am missing?

Yeah, don't use .cpy's ;-)

> It *would* be neat! :)

It would indeed, it'd just require more monkeypatching of the same style
that zdb does already. Reading zdb's code, particular the bits that
cover skin .py's should give you a good start.

I'd happilly accept patches to zdb and am keen to roll a new release if
someone does provide such a patch.

> Those security declarations are actually the only thing that
> svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Products.enablesettrace itself does.

I noticed ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk