[Zope] Zope newbie.... unicode problem

Tyler Nally tnally at teamhancock.com
Wed Nov 29 15:49:09 EST 2006

Greetings all,

I'm 100% new to Zope. A complete Zope newbie.  I've done web
Work for more than a dozen years... just never with Zope.

When serving a web page, we get an error that involves the
fetching and display of a document to the browser. Evidently,
it's choking on some unicode bytes when it's expecting plain
ascii.

I'm assuming it's
/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/PageTemplate.py
that's causing the problem as the data isn't somehow massaged correctly
before processing arrives at /usr/lib/python2.3/StringIO.py line 203.

I don't know if the bad byte is in a zope template, document, or
a database record that it's fetching.  I do believe this installation
of Zope uses Plone... but I've no idea whether Plone is somewhere
used in the error stream of all the different calls.

Do I need to post more information?  Tell me .. and I'll get it.

If this comes down to a patch, I've no idea how-to apply a patch
once I get my grubby mits upon the patch. So, I'll need a bit of
help with that as well.

If I've posted this in the wrong place.. please forgive me and point
me to the right place that I might ask the proper folk to help me.

Thanks a lot .. and thanks in advance

Tyler

====================TRACEBACK===============================

2006-11-29T11:03:37 ERROR(200) SiteError
http://www.teamhancock.com/help/bb-install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py", line 101, in
publish
    request, bind=1)
  File "/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/mapply.py", line 88, in
mapply
    if debug is not None: return debug(object,args,context)
  File "/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py", line 39, in
call_object
    result=apply(object,args) # Type s<cr> to step into published
object.
  File
"/var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zeo/Products/CMFDefault/SkinnedFolder.py",
line 80, in __call__
    return view()
  File "/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py", line
306, in __call__
    return self._bindAndExec(args, kw, None)
  File "/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/Shared/DC/Scripts/Bindings.py", line
343, in _bindAndExec
    return self._exec(bound_data, args, kw)
  File
"/var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zeo/Products/CMFCore/FSPageTemplate.py", line
191, in _exec
    result = self.pt_render(extra_context=bound_names)
  File
"/var/lib/zope2.7/instance/zeo/Products/CMFCore/FSPageTemplate.py", line
124, in pt_render
    result = FSPageTemplate.inheritedAttribute('pt_render')(
  File
"/usr/lib/zope2.7/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/PageTemplate.py",
line 97, in pt_render
    return output.getvalue()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/StringIO.py", line 203, in getvalue
    self.buf += ''.join(self.buflist)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position
501: ordinal not in range(128)

--
Tyler Nally
tnally at teamhancock.com