[Zope] Re: zope fork in external method - mysql connection dropped

Daniel Lopez zope-list at sevanta.com
Mon Oct 16 16:31:37 EDT 2006

I made one tweak to the double-fork procedure, adding a waitpid call in the
grandparent process (the original zope thread) before it returns out of the
external method... the code then looked something like:

[...prefork code up to here...]
pid1 = os.fork()
if pid1 > 0:
    #grandparent waits for its child before returning
    os.waitpid(pid1, 0)
    return RESPONSE.redirect("wait_page")
pid2 = os.fork()
os.setsid()
if pid2 > 0:
    #child quits, orphaning grandchild
    sys.exit(0)
[...grandchild-only code after here...]

The waitpid call seems to be preventing the zombies... this is good!
(though if you find something bad about this approach, please do speak up)

But in the process, a new bug was created, having to do with the MySQL
connection.  I now receive a "Lost connection to MySQL server during
query" error in what appears to be a final db flush from the grandparent's
publish function (ZPublisher.Publish, line 104).  The good news is that
the grandchild continues to do it's work, but the bad news is that the
user receives an error page instead of the redirect to the "wait_page".

My guess is that this has something to do with the various forked
processes sharing the MySQL connection, and in particular, I'm guessing
the child process that exit(0)'s is closing the connection, which is then
unavailable when the grandparent tries to use it.

Here's the interesting part: if I put a sleep(1) line in between the
waitpid() line and the return line, I get no error.  It would appear that
the 1 second pause provides enough time for a new MySQL connection to be
made after the previous one is killed (less than 1 second is not enough).

This is a very ugly fix, though... I can't guarantee that 1 second will
always be enough... can anyone suggest a cleaner solution?  Perhaps I
shouldn't kill the child with sys.exit(0)?

-Daniel