[Zope] Resolving a url from a path in a virtual host environment

Pablo Ziliani pablo at decode.com.ar
Thu Oct 19 22:54:31 EDT 2006

Jonathan wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pablo Ziliani" <pablo at decode.com.ar>
>> I'm having some trouble tying to get an object from a given path. I'm 
>> using virtual hosts, so according to Dieter's great documentation[1], 
>> REQUEST.resolve_url should do it. However no matter how creative I 
>> get making up urls, I always get a "Different namespace." ValueError.
>> Looking at the source of resolve_url[2] I can see that it tries to 
>> ensure being at the same namespace (?) seeing if REQUEST.script is at 
>> the beginning of the passed url. So the actual problem is that this 
>> attribute always returns "" in my (2.9.4-final) 
>> Zope instance, quite independently from my requested url.
>> So: should I be using some other method instead? (if so, I guess my 
>> reference is wrong or outdated). Which one?
>> Do I need any special configuration to make REQUEST.script returns my 
>> virtual environment?
>> Any additional suggestion?
>> In case the real url after apache's rewrite is relevant, PATH_INFO 
>> and PATH_TRANSLATED are showing something like:
>> '/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mydomain.com:80/sites/mysite/VirtualHostRoot/foo/bar.py' 
> To have a quick look at the urls that are easily available within the 
> REQUEST namespace create a dtml method in the 'end' folder that contains:
> <dtml-var standard_html_header>
> <dtml-var REQUEST>
> <dtml-var standard_html_footer>
> Then point your browser at this method (eg. 
> http://www.mywebsite.com/folderA/folderB/tstmethod) and see what comes up.

Thanks Jonathan for replying, I already have something like that on my 
server and part of the info I gave in my previous post was actually 
taken from it. Unfortunately however, I don't think this debug 
information can leave me any closer to my goal of fetching an object 
from an arbitrary path.

> Once you have located a variable that gives you what you need, you can 
> easily access it via something like:  REQUEST['URL0'] or 
> REQUEST['BASE3']. If the path (url) you need is not located within the 
> REQUEST namespace then you may need to work-around the problem... one 
> possibility is to create property field on the 'top' level folder that 
> contains the base url you need.  You can than access this property 
> field to build the required url.
Again, thanks for your effort, however is not my script who should 
access any of these fields (it would actually be BASE0) but the method 
resolve_url of the REQUEST object which is out of my scope. BTW, I did 
implemented a workaround to this some time before (which I can't find 
now...), but my point was knowing if I was right using this resolve_url 
(even though this was not working) or there was something else available 
out of the box.


More information about the Zope mailing list