[Zope] Can't stop Zope, machine hanging

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Sep 3 02:57:47 EDT 2006

--On 2. September 2006 23:43:50 -0700 Ken Ara <feedreader at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My Zope is stuck like never before. With my server on
> another continent, 8 hours time difference, and on a
> Sunday, I am pulling out my few remaining hairs...
>
> Our box runs FreeBSD 5, Zope 2.78 (if I remember
> correctly) and Squid.
>
> The ISP has been preparing for a move and shifted some
> machines, pulled some wires, and I see that the
> machine has rebooted.
>
> I can't restart or stop Zope -
> '/usr/local/www/Zope/zope01/bin/zopectl stop' just
> produces '........' for a long time - should I wait?

Use "netstat -anp" to figure out if there is any process listening to
*your* Zope port (port should be in state LISTEN). If yes, the "-p"
option should give you the process id. Try to kill the process (if you have
the permissions). If you don't have the permissions, ask your administrator.
If there is no process running, try "zopectl fg"...this should give you more
detailed error messages on the console.

-aj