[Zope] Re: zope 3 invisibility

Carlos de la Guardia carlos.delaguardia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 01:01:11 EDT 2006

Thanks for your responses. I can say from experience that even a barely
known blog by an unheralded developer can attract some attention now and
then and that blogs by leading developers of a given project, like Philipp's
own blog, can be a very good source of news about an interesting project.

While I agree that to blog or not to blog is a matter of taste, I don't
think that it is that difficult to use blogs. You just need to find the feed
for an interesting blog once, which is easier than a lot of lists (even
Zope's, if I recall correctly), that require you to sign on from a web page
and validate email at the time you subscribe. Also, subscribing to blogs of
people you respect reduce the noise a little bit, and managing a dozen blogs
seems to me a lot easier than a dozen mailing lists, but your mileage may
vary. The main thing going for blogs regarding buzz is that if your post is
linked to by  a couple of bloggers, it may end up being read by an audience
you never expected, and the effect can sometimes multiply. That just doesn't
happen with mailing lists.

Anyway, I'm just saying that perhaps this quality of the Zope community
makes it a little harder to get to know Zope 3 these days (many bloggers
have seen to it that Zope 2 is better known, though sadly in a negative way
for Zope). Of course, that doesn't mean the community is doing anything
wrong. Like Martin Aspeli said in a blog post, "maybe we're just not that
kind of people" (
http://optilude.blogspot.com/2006/09/maybe-were-just-not-that-kind-of-people.html
).

Carlos de la Guardia