[Zope] Need help tracing my application errors.

David H bluepaul at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 16:22:32 EDT 2006

Jose Carlos Balderas Alberico wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have a problem with an application we have hosted in Zope, and I
> thought you could give me a hand. Basically, my question is: what's
> the easiest way to trace errors raised by a python script that's part
> of the application?
>
> This is the exact situation: I have to modify such application. It is
> a very big application, with a lot of python scripts, sql methods,
> etc... After testing it for the first time after the modification,
> nothing happens. By this I mean there is no error message, yet I know
> the application doesn't work right, since no data were inserted into
> the database.

Jose,

Sounds like you walked into a real beauty.

 But your statement:  "by this I mean there is no error message, yet I
know the application doesnt work right, since no data were inserted into
the database" sounds more like a programming error and its unclear how
"logging" will solve it (although anything is a start).

Could you give us a code fragments of the relevant parts?

a) the code fragment that calls zsql (assuming thats what is being called)
b) a print out of the "request" (just before the zsql is called unless
you pass zsql params directly)
c) your zsql that is not adding records

You might as well also add your OS version and type, Zope version and
which data adapter you are using.

ps:  if any of your methods are *external* then changes will not show up
in some cases (debugging on/off?) unless you update its external python
"link" as well.

David