[Zope] Can't stop Zope, machine hanging

Ken Ara feedreader at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 13:57:42 EDT 2006

I have a new problem but it's related, so I'll keep
this thread alive.

To recap: possibly due to some network problems at my
hosting provider, my Zope would periodically stop
responding and I was unable to stop, restart or kill
it, or even restart the machine remotely. I am
operating within a FreeBSD jail. Finally, I was given
a password to the main os environment, allowing me to
restart, which I have needed to do once.

While waiting for my ISP to resolve his problems, I
thought it would be a good idea to relieve any excess
strain on Zope. Part of the strategy involved setting
Squid to ignore no-cache headers. Call me an
anti-social protocol violator, but it's still my
website and I set the caching headers according to the
page update schedule. But I digress.

Anyway, with response times improved, friendly search
engines went into a feeding frenzy and within 48 hours
my ZODB had reached 9GB. Packing time...

Now, perhaps due to the machine restart I get the
following error when attempting to pack:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module App.ApplicationManager, line 428, in
manage_pack
  Module ZODB.DB, line 555, in pack
  Module ZODB.FileStorage, line 1570, in pack
  Module ZODB.fspack, line 700, in pack
  Module ZODB.fspack, line 455, in findReachable
  Module ZODB.fspack, line 475, in buildPackIndex
  Module ZODB.fspack, line 166, in checkTxn
  Module ZODB.fspack, line 161, in fail
CorruptedError:
/usr/local/www/Zope/zope01/var/Data.fs:3116771801:time-stamp
reduction: 0x03681c50ebb292dd <= 0x03681c530eb31b99

The bulk of the database was added following the
restart so truncating may not be realistic. I haven't
tried - was it fsrecover? - what is the current best
tool or strategy?

My setup: Zope 2.7.4-0, python 2.3.4, freebsd5

Thank you,
Ken