[Zope] Re: Will Zope Run On Iron Python In Mono?

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Sep 15 10:33:53 EDT 2006

Mark, Jonathan (Integic) wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who offered advice on how and whether to examine
> the ZODB objects that Squishdot uses. I now have a better
> understanding of the unique role that ZODB object storage plays in
> Zope, and why replacing ZODB with RDB/SQL is not in general
> warranted.
>
> I isolated the Squishdot performance problem as being in a single
> <dtlm-in> command and will raise the matter further on the Squishdot
> mailing list.
>
> Mono intends to support Iron Python. Are there plans for Zope to
> support an Iron Python/Mono configuration, without use of CPython?

Here is an overview of the scope of such an effort:

[/home/tseaver/projects/Zope-CVS/Zope-trunk]
$ find . -name "*.c"
./lib/python/Acquisition/_Acquisition.c
./lib/python/AccessControl/cAccessControl.c
./lib/python/ExtensionClass/pickle/pickle.c
./lib/python/ExtensionClass/_ExtensionClass.c
./lib/python/Products/ZCTextIndex/okascore.c
./lib/python/Products/ZCTextIndex/stopper.c
./lib/python/Products/PluginIndexes/TextIndex/Splitter/ZopeSplitter/src/ZopeSplitter.c
./lib/python/Products/PluginIndexes/TextIndex/Splitter/ISO_8859_1_Splitter/src/ISO_8859_1_Splitter.c
./lib/python/Products/PluginIndexes/TextIndex/Splitter/UnicodeSplitter/src/UnicodeSplitter.c
./lib/python/initgroups/_initgroups.c
./lib/python/ComputedAttribute/_ComputedAttribute.c
./lib/python/Missing/_Missing.c
./lib/python/DocumentTemplate/cDocumentTemplate.c
./lib/python/ThreadLock/_ThreadLock.c
./lib/python/Persistence/_Persistence.c
./lib/python/MultiMapping/_MultiMapping.c
./lib/python/MethodObject/_MethodObject.c
./lib/python/zope/app/container/_zope_app_container_contained.c
./lib/python/zope/app/container/_zope_proxy_proxy.c
./lib/python/zope/hookable/_zope_hookable.c
./lib/python/zope/i18nmessageid/_zope_i18nmessageid_message.c
./lib/python/zope/interface/_zope_interface_coptimizations.c
./lib/python/zope/proxy/_zope_proxy_proxy.c
./lib/python/zope/security/_proxy.c
./lib/python/zope/security/_zope_security_checker.c
./lib/python/zope/thread/_zope_thread.c
./lib/python/Record/_Record.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_OOBTree.c
./lib/python/BTrees/BTreeItemsTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/sorters.c
./lib/python/BTrees/BucketTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/BTreeModuleTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_IFBTree.c
./lib/python/BTrees/SetOpTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/MergeTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/BTreeTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/TreeSetTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_IIBTree.c
./lib/python/BTrees/SetTemplate.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_OIBTree.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_IOBTree.c
./lib/python/BTrees/_fsBTree.c
./lib/python/persistent/cPickleCache.c
./lib/python/persistent/ring.c
./lib/python/persistent/TimeStamp.c
./lib/python/persistent/cPersistence.c
./lib/python/ZODB/winlock.c
./lib/Components/BTree/intSet.c

Note that most of these are absolute requirements, although a few
(cAccessControl.c, for one) have pure-Python equivalents,  Some
('_initgroups.c', 'winlock.c') might be irrelevant on a given platform.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com