[Zope] Please Help - Extracting Info From ZEXP File

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Apr 13 14:33:59 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 12:36:13PM -0500, s wrote:
> I just took over a website that was done in Zope/Plone. The person formerly
> responsible for it was not helpful to the client or me in the transition
> process. Basically he emailed a ZEXP file to me, told me it contains
> everything I need, and washed his hands of the whole project.

The .zexp cannot contain everything you need.  It will contain all the
data (assuming he didn't miss anything), but that data can only be
loaded if you have a zope system running with all the correct
third-party software installed.  You should insist on being provided
with:

- Zope version

- Name and version number for every subdirectory of
  $INSTANCE_HOME/Products/
  (including, of course, Plone)
  ... usually each subdirectory will have a file named version.txt

- Name and version number for every add-on Python package installed to
  the system, if any.

Without this information, you will be unable to load the .zexp.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com