[Zope] Re: ZPL and GPL: What should one consider when choosing a license?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 22 11:05:57 EST 2007

I would also agree the different license has caused this issue. I don't
think that it is beneficial to rehash past decisions but better to offer
up solutions that are reasonably considered.

The problem posed is that that GPL'd code will normally have only GPL
consumers. To this end, there is nothing in the way of the Plone
Foundation releasing back low level components under the ZPL or a choice
of GPL/ZPL other than the will to do so. This decision has little to do
with IP or the where the code will be housed. The PF could use its
discretion what to release in this way to ensure that Plone remains Plone.

I am speaking of generic low level components that could easily
integrated into any zope project. There is certainly no need to be
duplicating components and efforts under separate licensing regimes.
There is on the other hand, a much stronger need to have solid
components that are receiving the full attention of the community and
uniting the developer community at large.

I am certain, the release of such components under a choice of GPL or
ZPL would be welcomed by the zope community. It would certainly
demonstrate stewardship toward Zope itself, without which Plone would
not exist, and cultivate a reciprocal relationship to strengthen both
the software base of generic components and a community that has always
been divided over this issue. This is certainly my personal wish.

Regards,
David