[Zope] Re: problem with input elements and unicode/utf-8

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Feb 19 13:28:16 EST 2007

Jostein Leira wrote at 2007-2-18 16:29 -0500:
>I have experienced on my installation that Zope decides that the
>character set should be iso-8859-1 for IE7 even no HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET
>is sent from IE7 and preferred charset is utf-8. Firefox submits
>HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET and Zope handles that OK.

It is new for me that Zope treats "Accept-Charset" in any way (but I may
be wrong).

Usually, browsers respect the charset used when a form was delivered
and submit the form in the same charset.

As Zope has meanwhile forgotten which charset it used for the form
delivery, you must tell it about the encoding using
the magic conversion suffixes for request parameters.

If you have an "utf8" encoded value, you can append ":utf8"
to the parameter name and have it converted to a unicode
string. This, you can then transform into any encoding you like.

Beside "utf8", you can use any encoding registered with "codecs".

--
Dieter