[Zope] Large jumps of memory use increase, and seeking overall understanding of memory use

Jean Lagarde jean.lagarde at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 14:35:34 EST 2007

Thanks Maciej,

Yes, I am using CacheFu (a comprehensive caching product for Plone). I
have Squid installed and ready to go (had it in the loop for a little
while, but we were having all kinds of server instabilities at some
point and I turned that one off to simplify things; we are more stable
now so will turn it back on soon).

Now I will again admit to some overall experience, with even HTTP, so
correct me if I'm wrong: Without squid, I can either cache objects in
a Zope memory cache or in browser caches using headers (that's part of
what CacheFu helps to configure). However, neither of those prevents
Zope from entirely stopping to get requests for cached content. For
memory cached content, it will just be served faster and without
requiring to access the ZODB, but it will look the same in the access
log, and for browser cached content, everything will still have to be
loaded every time a browser is opened anew or when a force reload is
requested.

Once Squid is up, then I do expect to see a lot fewer requests to Zope.

Am I missing something major here?

Cheers,

Jean

P.S. Just so you guys don't think that I am a complete newby, I did
realize for example that I needed to add some templates by hand to a
CacheFu rule, to what was being cached by default, to account for the
"Composite Page" Plone product I am using (the templates for the
"slots" were not being cached and caused significant performance
issues).