[Zope] Isn't DTML more like what other frameworks do?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Jan 8 13:08:27 EST 2007

--On 8. Januar 2007 13:01:26 -0500 "Mark, Jonathan (Integic)"
<jonathan.mark at integic-hc.com> wrote:

> """Why (the hell) are you (still) using DTML (as newbie). You are strongly
> encouraged to use ZPT."""
>
> My sense is that ZPT solves a problem which for most of us does not
> exist. If you wish to have designers work directly on markup in an HTML
> WYSIWYG editor then yes, ZPT is great.

That's a pseudo argument. I've never seen any designer working on top
of a ZPT

> But most of us create our own HTML anyway. And for us it doesn't matter
> if DTML works in a WYSIWYG HTML editor, because we don't use the latter.
>
> What does matter is that DTML is very similar to RHTML (as in Ruby On
> Rails), ASP, etc. ZPT requires a new way of thinking. I would much rather
> convert RHTML to or from DTML than to or from ZPT.
>
> So I don't really get the benefit of using ZPT. The fact that no one
> outside of Zope seems to have created a ZPT-like solution suggests to me
> that ZPT, as I said, solves a problem which doesn't exist.

The question is: what is easier to learn and to understand - DTML or ZPT?
Can you explain the "nonsense" of the _ namespace in DTML to a newbie?
Can you explain the sequence-item magic with all special cases to a newbie?
ZPT is another approach to generate HTML. It's more logical, easier to learn
and read. A person with PHP background might prefer DTML but from my
experience with people starting with I can say that ZPT is more straight
forward for them. ZPT has of course it's pros and cons but my general
advice to people starting with Zope: thumb up for using ZPT, thumb down for
using DTML.

Andreas