[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: [Warning] Zope 3 component architecture (CA) not reliably usable for registrations from Python

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jan 12 02:59:54 EST 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 16:03, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Stephan Richter wrote at 2007-1-11 03:12 -0500:
> >If you are populating the CA before ZCML is fully parsed, then:
> >
> >DO NOT POPULATE THE CA WHILE IMPORTING!!!
> >
> >This is so bad on so many levels. Dieter, your problem is just one
> > example. Another is that unit tests have no chance to work reliably
> > either.
>
> How do you solve the unit test issues when the CA is initialized
> and populated by ZCML only? Do you fully parse the ZCML configuration
> file before any unit test?

For unit tests we do not use ZCML, we use the zope.component API. In those
cases, however, we still do not have side-effects from importing. The unit
test case is much easier, since you only test a unit and within this units
conflicts of declarations are highly unlikely.

> In my specific case, tests would make no problems (as we have
> only a single thread) -- but of course, you had the general
> case in view.

Yes, I tried to make a general statement to the generall developer. My intent
was not going to make a detailed discussions of all the pros and cons. After
all, this was the zope at zope.org mailing list and not zope3-users or
zope3-dev. ;-)

Regards,
Stephan