[Zope] debugging a wayward zope process

Timothy Ball timball at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:11:52 EST 2007

I have a zope server (2.7.4) that I maintain and every now and then the
python process that's running zope goes heywire and eats all of the cpu
resources and basically make my website stop responding. Does anyone have
any clues as to how I can debug this problem?

I'm not the best python coder but I do know how to use pdb. And I'm looking
for sorta where and what pieces would be the best place to start putting the
trace() bits.

... but really any sort of guidance would help... here's a small bit from ps
auxwwww showing a bit of what I mean, but when it *really* goes heywire it
just eats all of my cpu and causes the load to shoot up near the 50s (on a
dual opteron 275 processor machine)

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
zecms     4062 12.6  8.9 830640 718768 ?       Sl   Jan19 972:32
/thingie/src/bin/python
/thingie/src/opt/Zope2/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py -C
/www/zed/src/var/zope/etc/zope.conf

TIA,
--timball