[Zope] Auto Cataloging my ZCatalog

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Fri Jun 15 12:58:32 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "kamal hamzat" <hamzat at dnetsystems.net>
To: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 12:51 PM
Subject: [Zope] Auto Cataloging my ZCatalog

Hello,

I have a ZCatalog that my users use to catalog there news articles which are
(DTML Documents). I have already explained it to them to always input the id
for the new DTML Documents under "with ids" section on the Find Objects tab
on the ZMI to catalog new articles. But most time they will not and they end
up cataloging the entire articles which runs to 13,000 records.

What i want is either to be able to display error when the "with ids" is
missing on Find Objects form or to be able to automate it. For example use a
python code. I am new to python but very eager to learn.

One possible approach:

- I would not allow end-users access to the ZMI.

- Have users interact with the application through a menu driven interface

- Use a series of forms to collect data, then use python scripts/external
methods to create/store objects (eg. your DTML Documents) and update the
ZCatalog(s).

This will give you total control over user-entered data and the actions that
are taken (based on their input).

hth

Jonathan