[Zope] Data.fs & MySQL DB Blown Up!

tonylabarbara at aol.com tonylabarbara at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 07:54:30 EDT 2007

Hi;
Forgive the long (but necessary) background. I bought a new 500 GB hard drive for my server located on the other side of the world. I accidentally entered an erroneous command to copy everything from the old HD to the new one and ended up corrupting the OS. However, the *first* thing that happened was that command zapped my Data.fs. It was located on the new HD with a symlink for the entire var dir going from the old HD to the new one.

Fast foreward to this week. I've built a new server and transplanted my 500 GB HD. I told the server farm to check it thoroughly because I suspected the hardware may have gotten corrupted. They swear they did check it thoroughly. I have 2 Zope instances. On one, I moved the var to the new HD with the symlink. I also moved my MySQL database to the new HD. I left them alone while I was working on the other Zope instance. Lo and behold, without my doing anything, suddenly the Data.fs on the Zope instance on the new HD got rewritten to 0 bytes and the MySQL database got completely nuked!

My server farm tells me it has nothing whatsoever to do with the hard drive or the OS, that both are in perfect condition. I say that's nonsense! What do you think?
Tony