[Zope] Lost user credentials

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Mar 13 17:33:16 EDT 2007

Garito wrote at 2007-3-12 19:48 +0100:
>To Dieter: I use HTTP authentication method (at least I suppose that). I
>don't change anything about the default configuration nor use any cookie at
>least

Meanwhile, I read enough of your messages that I again got the big
picture ;-)

  As you wrote you get the authentication dialog (when you try
  to do an specific action) and whatever login information
  you provide, the authentication dialog is repeated ever again.

There are several possibilities for this behaviour:

  The "specific action" is protected by some roles that the user
  you try to login does not have. Then, no user folder would
  authenticate the user.

  The user is defined outside of scope of your object.
  In this case, the authentication would succeed (and
  the "error_log" entry would show you this user) but Zope
  would nevertheless deny access.
  This appears not to be the case as one of your messages
  indicated "Anonymous User" as the active user.

  There really is no user for the given login information.

As you seem to have a big problem, some powerful tool
might be necessary to resolve it.

I would probably approach it by trying to reproduce the problem
in an interactive Python interpreter session.
If you have an object "o" with method "meth", then
"o.meth__roles__" (for a true method) or "o.meth.__roles__"
(for an object acting somwhat as a method) are the roles that
protect "meth".

An alternative would be debugging. Some colleagues of mine
are using the commercial (!) WingIDE. It allows to debug
life Zope instances. These colleagues are quite happy with the tool.
Other colleagues are using Eclipse (with a Python plugin).
There do not yet know how to debug life Zope instances but
I saw hints in the Plone mailing list that it might be possible.
I dislike IDEs and use "import pdb; pdb.set_trace()" for
debugging purposes.

--
Dieter