[Zope] Uncaptured python exception

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Thu May 31 11:14:41 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Emmons" <jon.emmons at earthwavetech.com>
To: "'Andreas Jung'" <lists at zopyx.com>; "'Jonathan'" <dev101 at magma.ca>;
<zope at zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:06 AM
Subject: RE: [Zope] Uncaptured python exception

> I still don't know why python errors will just quietly cause things to
> fail
> with no zope error at all.  Nothing...  That may be something I just have
> live with.  Very difficult to debug and develop with though.
>
> Syntax errors I can find by simply importing the external method into the
> python interpreter.

Syntax errors for external methods can also be found by clicking on the
'Save Changes' button of the external method object when in the ZMI.

>  But dealing with the form variables, I will often have
> runtime errors that give no message at all.
>
> So I find myself putting little "I am here" print messaged throughout my
> code to try to zone in on where I mistyped the variable equipment_num as
> equipment_mun.

Referring to non-existent python variables (eg. the mistyping you described
above) should raise a KeyError.  Do you have any try/except statements in
your external method which may be capturing the errors?

Jonathan