[Zope] Frustrated with Python and Frameworks. Zope, Grok, , Django, CherryPy

Martijn Jacobs martijn at fourdigits.nl
Tue Nov 27 18:04:24 EST 2007

Hi Martijn and others.

> I don't see anything I like better, but have a nagging worry that
> Zope, and especially Zope 2, may become increasingly neglected as
> time goes by.

I have to say +1 on this one. We still use Zope 2 for most of our
projects, as the software is stable, mature and if you know how it
works you can do anyhting with it, and you can do it very fast.

I'm very pleased that some older products (including our own)
from 5 or 6 year ago still work in the latest zope version,
sometimes with some minor adjustments. But the core of Zope 2
has changed a lot, while still being compatible as much as
possible.

I think the Zope 2 developers and release manager(s) deserve
a lot of credits and respect for that.

But it's since Five that there is some active development
happening on this platform. (And offcourse not to forget the need
for Plone to have zope3 technologies available).
Cleanup and some refactoring has been done, and some Products are
now part of the core. You an find most of the documentation in
interfaces files right now which is a good thing offcourse, and
you can use zope3 technologies if you like, a much cleaner
way of development then old skool Zope 2 products.

I don't think the problem is activity on the Zope 2 front itself,
but the community website zope.org which should convey this message
of a mature Zope 2 platform with the availability of new
technologies. But now it's a dead, outdated website which I think
is sad because it's not reflecting what is actually happening.

> This sounds like something that could be potentially interesting
> for new new zope.org, which is currently in development

So that's why I mention this quote : Martijn, I'm very curious
about the status, plan or purpose of the new zope.org?

I think if the new site gets rid of all the outdated stuff,
learn from the plone.org website (or even use it as a boiler
plate, they really did a great job I think), include some nice
documentation based on tutorials like
http://slinkp.com/~paul/pycon_2006/z2/notes.html and
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/five-zope3-walkthrough,
for example (Phillip has some nice tutorials as well)
it would feel so much better for all the Zope 2 developers who
are still out there, and for the new developers who want to use
it, but now have the feeling that Zope 2 is a dead end.

--
Martijn Jacobs
Four Digits, Internet Solutions

a: Willemsplein 15-1 6811 KB Arnhem NL
e-mail: martijn at fourdigits.nl | web: http://www.fourdigits.nl
tel: +31 (0)26 44 22 700 | fax: +31 (0)84 22 06 117