[Zope] Frustrated with Python and Frameworks. Zope, Grok, Django, CherryPy

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Nov 28 09:50:06 EST 2007

Hey,

On Nov 27, 2007 9:25 PM, Garry Saddington <garry at schoolteachers.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 November 2007 17:19, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > We need to identify some targets and see what resources we have to
> > accomplish them. Of course this shouldn't degenerate into a long
> > wishlist discussion, but let's see what kind of steps can be taken.
> >
> I came to Zope as a newbie about 4 years ago. I used DTML from the word go
> because I wanted to use databases extensively and therefore ZSQL. Of course,
> when I started to get into difficulty I asked on this list. I got lambasted
> firstly for using DTML and secondly for seemingly wanting answers! I
> therefore became afraid of the list and the response I may get from questions
> so much so that I stopped asking.

That's of course not a good experience to have with a community! I
mean, I can see how people
could say: hey, why are you using DTML instead of ZPT, but to get
lambasted is not right.

> I learned the hard way - trial and error
> and reading whatever I could find -usually hard to find.
> I was therefore pleasantly surprised  when I first asked a question on the
> Postgresql users list. Not only was the response friendly and helpful but
> many responders actually wrote code to solve my problem or to show me how to
> solve it. It is this sort of attitude that we should try to foster on this
> list.

I fully agree. One of the problems we have with Zope is that we have
so many different ways to fix things,
and ways to approach things have evolved significantly over time. This
has caused some disconnect between
people. I for one would be hard-pressed by now to be able to answer
DTML and ZSQL questions. 7 years ago that
was different as I used this stuff a lot then. We will need to think
about how to solve this problem, too.

Regards,

Martijn